High Quality Hand Crocheted

High Quality Hand Crocheted
Pre-made designs AND Custom Orders!

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Tophatter Update! They let me schedule my 2nd hat finally!!!

I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that I posted the blog I did yesterday but when I logged on to Tophatter this morning, even though it was after 8am PST they had a slot open for me to list my hat on March 19th at 5pm.  To me it is so silly when everything I have tried for the past 2 weeks didn't work but then I write a blog post that gets like 50 hits and the very next day I am able to schedule my item for an auction.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  I just hope that it sells because I really need to make a sale or two this month to cover all the costs that I have been putting out. 

People think that yarn isn't expensive but it really is.  Good quality yarn can be extremely expensive but it is worth it when you can get your hands on it.  Lately I have been relying on donations and whatnot to fund my yarn collection, and it is running scarce.  I am so happy to see one of my favorite sites doing a yarn give away. 

If you haven't heard of them before you should check them out,  www.HookedonCrochet.com which is a free email newsletter sent out by www.AllFreeCrochet.com.  I have found some amazing techniques and patterns that I would have never thought of before.  I am not one to TAKE someones design that they have posted for free and use the whole pattern.  I am weird I guess because I am really REALLY BIG on not wanting to COPY anyone's work unless I paid for the pattern and they get the credit for designing it, so I will always change things, and make it my own.  I find that a lot of the patterns need a little help anyway in getting them to make sense and work correctly so my years of experience come in handy in those cases. 

I mostly signed up for the site's emails because they run contests for yarn give aways, and this month they are giving away Bernat Mosaic's and I WANT IT really bad!  I don't know how many times I have been at Michael's and just sat and felt how amazingly soft and luxurious this yarn is but couldn't bring myself to pay the $7/skein it costs when it's only about 100 yards in each skein.  WAY out of my budget if you ask me.  I couldn't sell anything I made out of it because I'd have to charge like $40 for a hat which is too much in my opinion.  I know that there are people out there selling them for that, but I can't justify it to myself.  I want my hats to be affordable as well as fashionable.  So I always look for good sales, or promotions where they are giving it away. 

I won't use poor quality materials.  Some people would argue with me and say that Red Heart Supersaver Yarn isn't of good quality but I will tell you that I have always used Red Heart Supersaver and ALWAYS will because it is durable, washable, and you can find it in almost any color you want.  It may NOT be the softest yarn, but if you want something that you can SEE the details of your work in, this is the perfect yarn.  Yes it is acrylic but it's not itchy unless you don't keep up on the maintenance and shave it periodically.  (Shaving a sweater or hat made out of ANY yarn is necessary after a period of time if you want it to remain looking nice and not like a fuzzy, frizzy mess.)

I feel really scatter brained today for some reason.  I had started this as a post to update you all on my tophatter situation, which is hopefully going to get better soon, and it has progressed into talking about the quality of yarn I use.  It always amazes me how a tangent can take me on a path that I never would have even thought of in the beginning of when I started typing.  Anyway, if you get a chance to check out the Auction on the 19th at 5pm check out my hat.  Or if you just can't wait, you can always come and check out my stuff on my Etsy page.

www.etsy.com/shop/mrzjaquescrochetedit

And don't forget to "like" me on Facebook

www.facebook.com/mrzjaquescrochetedit

Wishing you all the best and happy hooking!

Mrz Jaques

No comments:

Post a Comment